WIC Breastfeeding and Lactation Consultation
Florida Department of Health in Hernando County - WIC
- 352-540-6800 Hours Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Tuesdays 8 a.m.- 6p.m.)
7551 Forest Oaks Blvd
Spring Hill, Fl 34606
Infant Feeding Contact
Breastfeeding and Lactation Consultation
The Hernando Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program provides breastfeeding education, support and lactation consultation with a Certified Lactation Counselor.
Some of the services are:
- Individual Lactation Consultation
- Peer Counselor Support
- Infant Feeding Education and Support
- Breast Pumps Available
Prenatal breastfeeding classes, lactation consultation, and manual breast pumps, are available free to all WIC clients. Electric breast pump loans are available for qualified breastfeeding mothers. The breastfeeding support staff will determine your eligibility.
Individual breastfeeding consults include:
- Helping babies latch correctly, increasing or decreasing milk supply, tips on how to return to work or school and breastfeed
- Pumps for high risk infants, returning to work/school, individual occasional relief feeds (double electric and hand pumps)
- Infant feeding and support line: to request information about breastfeeding, artificial breast milk, pumps, weaning, introduction of bottle or solid foods, classes, support groups and other nutritional questions - call (352) 540-6924
- Peer Counselors for prenatal or breastfeeding mothers - Call (352) 540-6924
Breastfeeding Classes and Support Groups: The Foundation For Life Long Health
- Infant Feeding and Breastfeeding Class: Held weekly at the Hernando County Health Department, 7551 Forest Oaks Blvd. Spring Hill, FL 34606.
- Call to sign up at 352-540-6924.
- Breastfeeding Support Group: Meets every Thursday at 7:00pm at Bayfront Health Spring Hill Hospital, Medical Arts Building, Room 105. No need to sign up. Open to public.
- Topics: Getting Started, Latch Tips, Comfort Techniques for Newborns, Pumping Tips, Making More Milk, Infant Feeding with Bottle.