Teen Services and Resources
Teen Services: Providing Confidential Services to Hernando's Teens
- FREE Testing
- FREE Pregnancy Tests
- Emergency Contraceptives
- Abstinence Counseling
- STD Counseling, Testing and Treatment
- HIV Counseling and Testing
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead contact our office by phone or in writing.
Please contact us with your questions by email at Florida Department of Health in Hernando County / Health Center Web.HernandoCHD@flhealth.gov (NOTE: EMAIL IS NOT CONFIDENTIAL).
Every year 3 million teens – about 1 in 4 sexually active teens – get a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).
- In the U.S., 3 out of every 4 reported cases of gonorrhea were among younger people ages 15 to 29 years. The highest rates of infection are found in 15 to 19 year old females and 20 to 24 year old males.
- Chlamydia is so common that, by age 30, 50 percent of sexually active females have evidence that they have had chlamydia.
- Some studies show that up to 15 percent of sexually active teenage women are infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV), many with the type of HPV that is linked to cervical cancer
- Once cured, STD's can be contracted again.
Web Links & Other Resources
Healthy Start is for pregnant women or new moms with risks that could cause problems for themselves or their babies. Health Start focuses on lengthy pregnancies, supportive environments, family health & safety, referrals and resources for mom and baby to age 3.
Health and Sexual Education
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation - Nutrition Information for teens.
- Teen Pregnancy - National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
- Great to Wait - Abstinence education campaign designed to increase public awareness of sexual abstinence as the healthiest choice for youth.
- My Sistahs- Sex education site geared towards young minority women.
- Youth Resource - Information for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Youth
- Teen Village - The idea of TeenVillage is to give you a way to learn information about your life from a reliable source, without having to talk to an adult to get the information. Here at TeenVillage, we are all each other’s support group
- We Make the Change - DOH sponsored website focused on minority and youth HIV prevention. Provides info on HIV hotline and testing sites.
- The Body - General website and resource for those dealing with HIV.
- Career Central - Youth programs.
- Jericho Road Ministries - Rescue Mission that opened in October 2000 to provide an in-house recovery program to men, women and families.
- Hernando Boys & Girls Club - Local branch of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America organization.
- Hernando Anti-Drug Coalition (YAPPI) - Local anti-drug coalition. Provides information on “Chill Smart” and “Resource Teens” programs.
- The Arc Nature Coast - Hernando Association for Retarded Citizens, Inc., provides services and activities for adults with developmental disabilities.
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters - National website provides information about local programs.
- Jerome Brown Center - (352) 544-5498 Local community and event center.
- The Dawn Center - Local domestic violence abuse shelter for women and children. (352) 799-0657
- New Beginnings - Run Away Shelter - (352) 797-7566 operated by Youth and Family Alternatives, Inc. Visit the website for youth crisis shelter information for surrounding counties.
- Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- National Domestic Violence Network: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- FL HIV/AIDS Hotline: 1-800-FLA-AIDS (352-2437)
- FL HIV/AIDS Spanish Hotline: 1-800-545-SIDA (7432)
- FL HIV/AIDS Creole Hotline: 1-800-AIDS-101 (243-7101)