Medication Disposal in Hernando County
March 14, 2018
Brooksville, FL — The Florida Department of Health in Hernando County encourages citizens to practice proper storage and disposal of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Unwanted, unused and expired medications should be disposed of as soon as possible to reduce the chance of others accidentally or intentionally taking your medicine. Never flush medication down the toilet.
The Department recommends the following guidance for proper storage and disposal of prescription and over-the-counter medication:
- Store medication safely and securely—away from people and pets.
- Avoid using common storage areas such as bathroom medicine chests, kitchen cabinets or bedroom night stands.
For disposal at home:
1. Mix medicines with a substance that can’t be eaten such as dirt, kitty litter or used coffee grounds—don’t crush tablets or capsules.
2. Place the mixture in a plastic container or bag, and tightly seal.
3. Throw the container in your household trash.
4. Scratch out and make unreadable all personal information on the prescription label of your empty pill bottle.
Citizens can also dispose of unwanted, unused, and/or expired prescription, over the counter medications and veterinarian prescriptions at Hernando County Sheriff’s permanent drug drop-off boxes. There is no cost to drop off unwanted/unused medications at any of the following three locations:
- HCSO’s Main office located at 18900 Cortez Boulevard, Brooksville (Regular Business Hours)
- District 2 office located at 7499 Forest Oaks Blvd, Spring Hill (Regular Business Hours)
- Hernando County Detention Center located at 16425 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill (24 Hours)
The following items cannot be disposed of in the drop-off box and can be disposed of at the locations listed below:
- Needles, Sharps, and/or Syringes – Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
- Any Liquids – Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
- Inhalers - Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
For more information on the HCSO drop box program, call 352-754-6830. Contact the Environmental Health Division of the Florida Department of Health in Hernando County for all other questions 352-540-6800.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.